Should You Upgrade to Apple’s iOS 9?
Apple has recently released their iOS 9, their next generation software for iPhones, iPads and iPod touches, and already has users questioning if it’s worth updating now or later.
Speaking for myself and so many others, we’re usually anxious to update our Apple products to get the latest and greatest functions and applications but history has proven that sometimes its not always in our favour. From bug fixes to maxing out our storage space. Question is, do we chance it?
Gordon Kelly from Forbes Magazine shares his highlights list offer us a great way to sneak a peak at what we can expect if we choose to upgrade to iOS 9:
- Improved Battery Life and Low Power Mode– Apple promises greater efficiencies in iOS 9 which will add up to one additional hour of usage and up to 3 additional hours when in the new Low Power Mode.
- Frees Up Space– iOS 9 requires just 1.3GB of free space to upgrade. This is drastically reduced from the 4.58GB of previous iOS versions.
- Apple Proactive– Apple’s new rival to Google now scans the contents of your phone to offer you information before you know you need it (trip alerts, delivery information, etc).
- Split Screen and Picture-In-Picture Multitasking (New iPads Only)– While only available on the iPad Pro, iPad Air 2 and iPad Mini 4, iOS 9 delivers a decent first attempt at bringing desktop-style multitasking to iOS.
- Smarter Siri –Siri on iOS 9 supports more natural language commands and, crucially, has been opened up to third party apps. Long term this could see some amazing implementations.
- Apple News– Apples’ Flipboard rival has loads of major publishers on board to present beautiful, mobile friendly online and offline accessible versions of their content.
- Cleverer Keyboards (iPads only)– iOS 9 will bring ‘QuickType’ keyboards to the iPad range.
And these features are just scratching the surface…
Jennifer Boyce Richardson
Content Source: Gordon Kelly – Forbes